33 Self Paced Online Writing Courses for Beginners (Free and Paid)
Looking for online courses that can help you get from being an amateur writer to author? Or maybe you have writers block, and need some inspiration to get started? Look now further!
Outlined below are 33 top online writing courses for beginners and where you can get them. All the courses are 100% online self paced courses. So find a course you like, and get started today!
Free Online Writing Courses for Beginners
- Writing for New Writers – FREE! This course will take students through the process of writing from simple paragraphs to more complex writing structures and eventually research writing.
- Copywriting Essentials – FREE! Get Started as a Professional Copywriter.
- English Writing Skills – FREE! A language course which is designed for anyone wanting to improve their writing, or English students who wish to enhance their essay-writing abilities.
- Fundamentals of Business Writing – FREE! The course introduces you to the theory and practice of writing in the modern business environment.
- Introduction to Journalism – FREE! Learn the basic principles and practices in journalism, such as how to identify a story, how to gather facts, how to perform interviews and research, and how to create news articles while maintaining the highest journalistic ethics.
- Copyblogger Membership – FREE! An incredible training resource called MyCopyblogger. When you register (no charge) you’ll get instant access to nearly 100,000 words of proven marketing training.
Online Writing Courses for Beginners with free trials
- A 10-day Journaling Challenge – Commit to writing 10 minutes a day for 10 days (starting with “Today I noticed…”) and, on the final day, revise one entry into a finished piece.
- Storytelling Fundamentals: How do you write a story that feels alive? Learn the 4 C´s of storytelling: Character, Conflict, Context, Craft.
- Content Marketing: Blogging for Growth – In this 80-minute deep dive class, you’ll learn Eric’s step-by-step structure for creating compelling blog content. This class is perfect for anyone that wants to use writing for their advantage, especially business owners and marketers.
- Speech Writing – In this course, Judy Steiner-Williams outlines the basics of speech writing. You will learn incorporating support for your thesis and adapting your delivery to your audience. She also provides guidance on writing speeches with different purposes. Such as speeches that are primarily informative or persuasive. Speeches designed for entertainment purposes, or those designed for a special occasion, such as award acceptance or toastmaster.
- Writing a Resume – Finding a great job starts with writing a great resume, one that speaks to your personal and professional strengths. Learn how to write a resume that stands out and makes employers take notice.
- Writing Email – Discover the secrets to writing powerful emails your colleagues will read and answer by crafting your message and delivery.
Paid Online Writing Courses for Beginners
- James Patterson Teaches Writing – James Patterson, the author of 19 consecutive No. 1 New York Times bestsellers, reveals his tricks of the trade for the very first time. In this course, he guides you through every part of the book writing process.
- Writing With Flair: How To Become An Exceptional Writer – Udemy´s bestselling writing course! Principles and tactics to make your blogs, essays and business writing sparkle.
- Writing With Impact: Writing That Persuades – This course will change the way you write for ever. It is loaded with practical advice on how to win people over with the written word. You will also learn the basic principles that can be applied to different types of fiction and non-fiction writing. Including reports, emails, sales pages, presentations, blogs, advertising and more.
- Writing Novels that Move – Write novels with compelling plots. This writing course, on fiction writing, shows how to plot books that hook readers
How to Write Fiction People Will Care About – In this 8-week course, you’ll learn how to perform the magic that turns fictional characters into living people in the reader’s mind.
- Mystery Writing – This course will show you how to write a successful mystery story or novel, taking you step by step through the process of developing a story idea, creating your cast of characters, laying down clues, and shaping your mystery plot.
Structure Your Story For Success – At the end of this 8-week course, you’ll create a detailed story plan that you can use as road map for your own stories or novels.
The Essentials of Poetry Writing – In this course, you’ll learn the hidden techniques that make some poems so powerful.
- Journalism School – Get the journalism chops you need to land good-paying gigs – working at your own pace!
- Escape the Content Mills – If you’re burned out on writing dozens of articles a week just to pay basic bills — you’re not alone.
- Earn Big as a Young Freelance Writer – The course for young writers who want to make REAL MONEY! Does being a young writer mean you’ve gotta work cheap?
- Write Big – A Fear-Busting E-Course for Freelance Writers. Almost every writer has fears and anxieties. But you can learn how to keep those fears from holding you back.
- Beginning Writer´s Workshop – If you’ve always wanted to write but have no idea where to start, this course will demystify the process for you. You’ll get a taste of the writing life, improve your writing skills, and develop new ways to stretch your creative muscles.
- Write Fiction like a Pro – Each assignment in this course helps you develop your own original novel or story. As you apply each technique, your story will take shape, with a clear path from beginning to end.
- Beginners Guide to Getting Published – If your goal is to become a published freelance writer of fiction or nonfiction for books or magazines. This comprehensive course will help you guide your work directly into the hands of an editor and onto the shelves of your favorite stores.
- Getting Started in Writing – When you take this online writing workshop, you’ll discover your voice, learn the basics of grammar and examine the different types of writing. No matter what type of writing you’re planning on crafting—nonfiction or fiction—you’ll need guidance along the way.
- How to Plot and Structure Your Novel – Plot and structure are two of the most important elements of fiction. In order to write a fiction piece that will keep your readers glued to the page, mastering these elements is essential.
- 10x Landing Pages 2.0 – Learn to write landing page copy that converts!
- 10x Launches – This training is focused exclusively on launch copy. Based on insights and “themeplates” from dozens of launches in the six- and seven-figure range.
- Creative Writing for Beginners – It does not matter if you are already writing or want to learn more about it, this course teaches the needed basics and also offers the skill sets you required to start creating written works. You will learn different forms of creative writing and tools needed to write excellent fiction and non-fiction. And probably most important, how to overcome writer’s block. Even if you have not written anything before, this course promises to get you started!
- Writing Basics 101 – This self-paced course is designed for students wanting to improve their basic writing skills.
- Creative Writing 101 – This self-paced course is offered to writers everywhere. Test and review questions, and also lesson exercises are included at the end of each lesson to build mastery.
Do you know any Online Writing courses for Beginners that you think should be on this list? Contact us at halvard @onlinecourselistings.com and we will ensure it is included. Perhaps you want to learn something else? Search for other listings on www.onlinecourselistings.com.